Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson announced plans for 2022 return for XFL
Although the XFL will not return in the year 2021, league co-owner and celebrity Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson broke the news on Twitter on Thursday of the XFL’s intentions to return to action in the Spring of 2022. The league followed with an official statement shortly after Johnson’s tweet to confirm the news.
Johnson, who was joined by longtime business partner Dany Garcia and RedBird Capital Partners, purchased the XFL from former owner Vince McMahon for $15 million in August. The group previously discussed a plan to return to action in the Spring of 2021 with a one-city bubble structure. However, the league decided not to expedite the process or make a hasty return, according to league president and chief operating officer Jeffery Pollack.
The XFL was sure to thank those who partook in the shortened 2020 season in a statement, which said, “We are going to take our time to come back and ensure that we build a league of culture, passion, and purpose for the benefit of our players, coaches, staff, partners, and fans. And, given the continuing uncertainty of the public health environment, a 2022 re-launch will help us provide a safe gameday experience for everyone together.”
The XFL said that hiring for the anticipated 2022 restart will likely gain momentum towards the beginning of 2021.